Today I am going to share with you the recipe of Vegetable Sushi. Some of you might have not heard the name of this dish but I believe all of you will definitely like its taste. This dish is healthy and nutritious.
It is a combination of rice and vegetable rolls. It is easy to make vegetable sushi and you can prepare it in just 1 hour and 30 minutes. The ingredients list of vegetable sushi recipe are as follows:-
Ingredients for making rice
- Rice vinegar = 1/3 cup
- Japanese rice (short-grain and rinsed) = 3 cups
- Sugar = 3 tbsp
- Salt = as required
Ingredients for making rolls
- Nori sheets (halved) = 10
- Sesame seeds = just for sprinkling
- Cucumber = 1
- Avocado = 1
- Red onion = 1 small sized
- Pickled ginger = just for serving
- Romaine lettuce = 1
- Plum tomato (seeded) = 1
- Wasabi paste = for serving and spreading
- Asparagus spears (blanched and trimmed) = 20
How to make Vegetable Sushi Recipe?
1. For making rice, you have to combine 3 1/4 cups of water and rice in the rice cooker. Cook them as per the directions of manufacturer. It is advisable to use rice cooker for getting perfect rice however you can also use saucepan if you don’t have it.
2. Combine salt (1 tsp), vinegar and sugar in the saucepan using the medium heat. Stir it for dissolving sugar. Take a big size wooden bowl and add all cooked rice in it. Sprinkle quarter of vinegar mixture on rice by using spatula. Gently fold rice by using a spoon for cooling it and breaking up all the clusters. You need to be very careful so that the grains may not crush. Now fold in left over mixture of vinegar and allow rice to sit for five minutes.
3. Use plastic wrap for covering sushi mat. Place the rough side of ½ nori sheet on this mat. Moisturize your hands for scooping rice onto nori. Size of scoop must be a little bigger than lemon. Evenly spread rice on the nori using your fingers. Drizzle the sesame seeds.
4. Peel 1 cucumber and then slice it on matchsticks. Finely cut the tomato, red onion and avocado. Cut all the rough edges of asparagus. Turn over nori very carefully so that its rice side is down on the sushi mat. Pour wasabi paste up to 1/3rd of nori sheet. Firmly place some pieces of tomato, lettuce, onion, cucumber and avocado on lower-third of nori sheet.
5. Now roll sushi using your hands by folding in all vegetables. Place the mat on top of roll by removing it from underneath. Give a rectangular shape to roll by pressing and taking help of mat. Now divide sushi roll in 3 to 5 pieces. Make some more rolls by using the remaining vegetables, rice and nori. Vegetable sushi is ready to be served now. You can serve these rolls with wasabi and pickled ginger.