I’m a big fan of colourful fruity cakes because they don’t only look beautiful but also tastes so good. This so filling Banana split cake is full of power with yummy vanilla cake, fresh banana and strawberry slices, nuts, then this is all covered with yummy vanilla frosting, chocolate frosting and decorated with chocolate ganache and full of great flavours of a banana split.
To start with, the stratums of banana layer cake is full of amazing banana flavour and super moisty rich taste. It is not like many other cakes that tastes like banana bread. This is a cake and tastes absolutely yummy and looks gorgeous.
The mixing process requires with creaming sugar and butter together. Just don’t skimp on it. I know some people beat the butter and sugar until they are combined well but beating for a limited time will add air to the batter and this will help with cake’s fluffiness. Some mashed bananas are also added to the cake to add fabulous great taste. This is definitely a layered cake in which one layer is filled with banana and the other layer is all about strawberry puree because banana and strawberry made a great combo. Then comes the chocolate frosting with banana slices and some chopped nuts, the best combo I could ever try.
BANANA CAKE LAYERS
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (173g) sour cream
- 3 tbsp (45ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) mashed bananas (2-3 medium sized bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (284g) shortening
- 12 cups (1380g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30ml) muddled strawberries
- Pink icing color, optional
- 2 tbsp (14g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts, optional
- 3-4 strawberries, sliced
- Yellow icing color (I used a combination of lemon yellow and golden yellow)
- 3 oz (86g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
- 9 oz bright pink candy melts
- 6-7 tbsp (90-105ml) heavy whipping cream
ADDITIONAL, OPTIONAL FOR DECORATION
- Sliced banana
- Chopped nuts
Let’s stop talking and focus on the recipe and directions of this heavenly cake:
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 3 same size cake pans and set aside.
2. In a large bowl add butter and sugar and beat well to cream the mixture, now add sour cream, vanilla, and vegetable oil and keep beating while you add eggs.
3. Now add all dry ingredients in a bowl and add ½ of this dry mixture into the egg mixture and beat also add mashed bananas in the mixture. Now pour remaining dry mixture into the bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
4. Divide this cake batter in already greased 3 pans and bake for about 20-25 minutes until cooked properly.
5. Remove cakes from the oven and let them cool before placing in cake stand or cake plate.
MEANWHILE PREPARE FROSTINGS FOR THIS CAKE:
1. In a large bowl, add shortening and butter and beat with electric beater. Add powdered sugar to butter mixture in 3 batches and mix until you get the smooth mixture, after adding half of the sugar add water in the mixture to make it densely rich and thick.
2. Divide this mixture into two halves, each of 240g o one cup, one for strawberry frosting and one for chocolate frosting.
3. In remaining frosting, add vanilla extract and mix well. And set this aside.
4. Now in one cup of the frosting add scrambled strawberries and stir with few drops of red food colour to have slightly pink shade and set aside.
5. In another cup of frosting, add cocoa powder and 2 tsps. of water to thin out the frosting, if needed.
TO LAYER AND FROST THE CAKE:
With the large sharp knife cut the top layer of the cake to make a flat surface. Now place the 1st layer of the cake on cake stand and place sliced banana and sprinkle chopped nuts over it. Now spread chocolate frosting over the layer of bananas and nuts and make it even surface. Now place second layer of the cake on it and make a dam around with vanilla frosting. Now place sliced fresh strawberries over the cake and fill it with strawberry frosting. Now place 3rd layer of the cake over it.
Now add yellow colour in remaining vanilla frosting and cover the outside of the cake with this yellow vanilla frosting.
TO FINISH OFF THE CAKE:
Add chocolate chips in a bowl and heavy cream in another bowl, heat heavy cream in a microwave oven and pour over the chocolate chips, let it sit for a minute then whisk accordingly to make the smooth chocolate sauce. Drizzle this sauce over the cake and let it spread around the sides of the cake. Meanwhile to make the pink sauce, heat pink candy melts in the microwave and combine with heavy cream and mix well and let it sit for 2-3 minutes to make thick enough pink sauce. Now pour this pink sauce at the center of the cake and spread around the cake with a spatula and let it spread around the cake sides.
Now flower frost the cake with vanilla frosting and top the flower with cherries, remaining strawberry slices and nuts. Place in refrigerator and serve cool.