Another term used for turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used since years for fighting infection, helping with digestive problems, fighting off certain cancers, and reducing inflammation. It is considered as powerful antioxidant. Also it helps in fighting against free radicals. Turmeric is a yellow color spice that can be used in baking and cooking. Use this spice in your regular meals for getting its several benefits. Supplements of turmeric can also be consumed for improving your health.
Following methods will help you to get benefits from turmeric and its supplements.
Method 1: Taking Turmeric Supplements
1. Consume recommended turmeric dose if you are adult
Presently no studies are done on turmeric supplements for kids; therefore kids shouldn’t consume turmeric supplements. Turmeric supplements are available in capsule, tincture or fluid extract form for adults. Adults can consume turmeric dose as mentioned below.
- Take 500mg turmeric supplement capsule every day.
- Take 30-90 drops of turmeric fluid extract every day.
- Take 15-30 drops turmeric in the tincture form 4 times daily.
2. Use turmeric supplements that contain lipids
Turmeric is difficult to absorb within your body as it is water insoluble. 99 % of consumed turmeric goes all through body without absorption. It is advisable to use turmeric supplements having lipids so that the absorption rate can be increased.
3. Avoid turmeric supplements in case of diabetes medication
Turmeric can raise the risk of low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, therefore avoid using it if you are going through diabetes medication.
4. Avoid turmeric supplements if you are on blood-thinning medication
You should also avoid taking turmeric supplements in case of blood-thinning medications like clopidogrel (plavix), aspirin, and warfarin (coumadin). These supplements strengthen the effectiveness of such medicines, thus increasing the risk of inner bleeding.
5. Don’t consume turmeric supplements if you are taking stomach acid (diabetes) medication
If you are already taking some drugs for reducing stomach acid, then you should not take turmeric supplements because it can impede with these medicines, thus increasing stomach acid production that can be dangerous for your health. These drugs include cimetidine (tagamet), ranitidine (zantac), lansoprazole (prevacid), famotidine (pepcid), omerprazole (prilosec) and esomeprazole (nexium).